Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Spirit Willing, The Flesh Weak...

More testing today. God is continuing to ask me insistently, "Do you love me?" and at times I find myself evading the question. Then comes the answer, Yes, Lord. I'm conscious of this constant battle between my flesh and spirit - the spirit is willing, the flesh is weak. Evidently I need the test.
1st Peter 4:2 tells us that we should no longer live the rest of our time "in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God." And Romans 8:1 says "There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit."
All throughout scripture, we are told to yield to the voice of God rather then the voice of our flesh. And yet we as imperfect sinful humans always yield to our flesh. Flesh is just another word for self - our selfish, put-my-own-wants-first side. We make decisions based on feelings and desires, what makes us feel good. I mean what's wrong with that? We don't even realize that we have a fleshy side because in society we are constantly told to follow our heart and do what makes you happy, and what do you want out of life?
The Bible makes it clear that if we yield to the flesh we cannot yield to the Spirit of God. The flesh wars against all things Holy - all things God. And it must be silenced in order for us to deny ourselves, take up our cross and follow our King.
How in the world do we ignore our flesh? Really!?!? It's not simple, and I won't ever frost it over and say it is, because it's not. It's hard-work, it takes time and perseverance and most of all it takes patience and a lot of waiting on the Lord. We must pray and fast and sit in silence in the Father's presence. We must wait on what He wants us to do. Because God's way is the only way.
S.D Gordon describes waiting as this:
Waiting:
Steadfastness, that is holding on;
patience, that is holding back;
expectancy, that is holding the face up;
obedience, that is holding one's self in readiness to go or to do;
listening, that is holding quiet and still so as to hear.
Waiting and being patient is one thing I used to hate so much. I like to get things done and be on time and have all the answers right away, and when I couldn't have the answers I would give up and get frustrated. But through much prayer and YES much waiting on the Lord. My Sweet Redeemer has given me such patience that I have asked for. And now I find myself sitting at the Lord's feet for hours at a time in complete silence just waiting.
The thing that throws me is that He took me just as I was and just as I am. No questions asked, and yet He continually reminds me and promises me that I would not and will not stay the way I am. He is forever changing me, and as I let go and fall into His arms, there is no fear. All you have to do is let go and let God. Let go and let Jesus take your heart, He wants you, He's waiting. Cut off the flesh, it's not worth it. What the Father can give you is something stronger, something better, something beautiful. Something that will forever Save You!

Just think about it

His and yours


Cami

1 comment:

  1. Amen Cami. That is beautiful.

    My flesh is something else and it can be quite a battle. He increases in our lives as we decrease.

    (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete