Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Being Poured Out


"But even if I am being poured out like a drink offering on the sacrifice and service coming from your faith, I am glad and rejoice with all of you." -Philippians 2:17. "For I am already being poured out like a drink offering." -2 Timothy 4:6

I had lunch with a friend today and she asked me how I was doing. I didn't know how to respond. In my head should I do the typical Northwestern College thing of I'm just fine a superficial type of fine or should I tell her how I'm really feeling. I opted for the second choice and told her that for the past couple days I've been feeling empty. God's recently been putting me through lots of test, and asking me to step out in my faith in crazy and amazing ways. It's draining but so rewarding to see how God is blessing people and that I get to be a part of it. I am extremely blessed. But as He has been filling me up for months on months now, He finally asked me to pour it out (this is the analogy my friend used) And now that I have poured it out and did what He asked I am now empty once again. And He is asking me to fill myself up again.

I've never been this empty before. It's not that I am losing faith! No! God is always with me and forever will be, it's just He is deciding to be silent, I haven't heard or felt Him move in me for the past couple days, and the silence is dragging on, it feels like years instead of 3 days. And yet I know exactly why He is choosing to be silent, He is drawing away from me so that I will draw nearer to Him. Isn't that crazy, He is still here and I know it, He's just choosing not to answer me. Which I understand. So now it's a matter of filling myself up again.

I said I haven't been this empty before, which is true. But I've never felt this hungry and thirsty for more of God's Word and His presence. It's the best feeling ever and though I can't here is voice I know that when it's time He will tell me what I need to know, and lead me to where I need to go.

He has placed this great sense of peace and love over my life, and I can't help but give it to someone else, to let them feel God's peace and love. To let them know that God loves them and wants to fill them up just like He is filling me up. You see God gives us these blessing, and gifts, and whatever else. Because He chooses to do so. But they are not ours to hold on to. Where is our right to say okay God you gave it to me but it's mine to keep. How dare we even think that! What kind of Christians are we if we keep every blessing and every gift for ourselves. Fake Christians if that's what it comes down to. God wants to bless us, but He also wants us to bless other people. To pour out what He has poured out upon us, onto someone else. It's the most amazing and beautiful thing to take my own blessing, or gift and give it to someone else, or to help someone else by using the gifts God has given me.

But this cannot be done in a selfish desire. If you go into it thinking you're going to get something out of it, then it's not for God's glory. And remember God can take away a gift or blessing just as He has given it to us. Don't misuse it. Pour it out like a drink offering and see what God can do. He will surprise you. Don't expect anything from it, don't ask God "if you want to do this I will do this?" Do it for God's glory, He will continue to pour out His blessing upon not only you but the person you poured your blessing/gift upon. And the best part is, you get a chance to see it!

It's great to be a sponge and soak everything up, but there comes a time when God wants to wring you out into a cup and pour you out.

He may be asking you right now, or in the future to pour yourself out, don't hesitate. You will fill empty, but you will get a burning hunger and thirst to consume the Word of God and to sit in His presence for hours, asking, seeking, listening, crying, laughing and so on. And what better feeling is it to sit at the feet of our Lord and wait upon Him. I can't think of any other can you?

Is God asking you to pour yourself out like a drink offering?


Just think about it.

In Christ love,


His and yours

Cami

No comments:

Post a Comment