Wednesday, March 17, 2010

an elderly lady, a doughnut, and Jesus...

"Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him." Psalm 34:8.

Yesterday I was coming back from school from a long and exhausting spring break. It wasn't the spring break I was hoping for and I was worn down and tired. There is so much stuff going on that once again I got caught up in this world and the chaos of it all instead of focusing on what God was whispering to me.

Anyway, my mom was driving me back to school and she had to stop for gas, I hadn't ate that morning so my mom handed me a couple bucks to get a doughnut. I walked into the gas station and there was an elderly woman standing in front of the doughnut window. She looked up at me and smiled and said "I think I know, I've seen you before." I was confused and didn't know if she was talking to me so I replied "Really?" and she answered "Really, what doughnut would you like." So I pointed out the glazed one and she told me how those were her husbands favorites and then reached for her wallet, pulling out a dollar bill and handing it to the lady at the register she said "I'll get this for you, don't worry about it." I was so caught off guard, yeah it was just a doughnut, a 79 cent casey's doughnut, but it wasn't the doughnut or the money she willingly handed me, it was the smile she wore and the love in her eyes for someone she hardly knew. Me.

I saw Jesus in that elderly ladies eyes yesterday, and His whisper became a yell in my ears. I couldn't believe how selfish and naive I was being, to take for granted the little blessings that God so amazingly poured out upon me. He is preparing me for great things and though I am so nervous I can't wait to get going to where He is leading me to. Each man's life is but a breath (Psalm 39:5) and who are we to waste away the little things that God has given us. We are consumed by this world so easily that sin is just something we do now, it doesn't take thought, it's just a repeated action. And that is the scariest thing.

It's so easy for us to say we are Christian's with our mouths, but we hardly ever live it out through our lives and through our actions. We are human, we will sin, but if we repent God will forgive us. Let go of the gossip, the lying, the jealously, the obsession with sex, drugs, money, love, relationships. And just focus on the most important thing, the one and only thing that can give us true love, true happiness, true life. And that is God.

"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever" -Psalm 73:26.


Let God be your strength, don't take the little blessings for granted. Because they are big.


Seek God and He will give you the desires of your heart.


Just think about it



His and yours


Cami

No comments:

Post a Comment